Handy Tips to Avoid Frozen Pipes This Winter
The National Weather Service has advised that subfreezing temperatures are likely beginning Thursday night and into Friday morning following the passage of a strong cold front. Freeze Warnings and possible Hard Freeze Warnings can be expected. High temperatures could quite possibly remain below freezing throughout the day on Friday and not warm up above freezing until during the day on Saturday.
If you experience any issues with pipe bursts please contact Municipal District Services LLC (MDS) at (281) 290-6503.
Steps for Winterizing your Home
- Insulate pipes with insulation sleeves, wrapping or using slip-on foam pipe insulation. Do not leave any gaps without insulation as cold air can affect the pipe in these spaces.
- Winterize your sprinkler system by turning the water off to your irrigation system and drain your backflow preventer.
- Maintain a heating source inside the building to protect pipes against cold.
- Open cabinets underneath faucets.
- Exterior hose bibs are normally left unattended, disconnect hoses and insulate faucets with covers or blankets.
- House Shut off valve: Know where your shut off valve is located in case of an emergency. Valve is usually on the side of the house near the garage. Some homes the valve is inside the garage wall.
- If you choose to leave a faucet dripping, please only let the faucet drip slowly. NO STEADY STREAMS.
- If traveling for the Holidays, it is recommended that you turn the water off at the street and drain all your plumbing.